Maine Bunk Bed Safety Warnings - Our bunk beds were created with your child’s safety as a top priority and comply with the ASTM F-1427 Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Bunk Beds and the Government Code of Federal Regulations 1213 and 1513. To ensure the safe use of our product, we ask that you observe the following safety warnings:
1. Follow the information on the warning label attached to the upper bunk end structure and on the carton. Do not remove this label.
2. Use only a mattress meeting the following specifications on the upper bunk to help prevent the likelihood of entrapment or falls.
Bed Type Length Width
Standard Twin 74” - 75” 37 1/2” - 38 1/2”
Queen Length 79” - 80” 37 1/2” - 38 1/2”
3. Ensure that the combined thickness of the mattress does not exceed 8” and that the surface of the mattress is at least 5” below the upper edge of the guardrails.
4. Do not allow children younger than 6 years of age to use the upper bunk.
5. Periodically check bunk beds to ensure that the guardrails, ladder and other components are in their proper position, free from damage, and that all connectors are tight.
6. Do not allow more than one person on upper bunk. Do not allow jumping on the bed and do not allow horseplay on or under the bed(s).
7. Always use the ladder (or stairs) for entering and exiting the upper bunk.
8. Do not use substitute parts. Contact Maine Bunk Beds should replacement parts be necessary.
9. Use of a night-light may provide an added safety precaution for a child using the upper bunk.
10. Always use guardrails on both long sides of the upper bunk. If the bunk bed will be placed next to a wall, the guardrail that runs the full length of the bed should be placed against the wall to prevent entrapment between the bed and wall.
11. The use of a water or sleep flotation mattresses is prohibited.
12. Whenever moving or reassembling Maine Bunk Beds, please check these additional Safety Features:
o Every Maine Bunk Bed is securely held together by 8 large bolts which can be tightened with the square wrench found in the parts box.
o The two beds are stacked together using 4 wooden pins; one in each post.
o Slats supporting each mattress foundation should be rolled out onto the rail frame before placing mattress.
13. Extra bunk bed assembly instructions and hardware are available from Customer Service.
14. Please keep these instructions for future use/reference.
15. STRANGULATION HAZARD - Never attach or hang items to any part of the bunk bed that are not designed for use with the bed; for example, but not limited to, hooks, belts and jump ropes.
To download a PDF version of these bunk bed safety warnings click here